Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Journal #25 'My Vocabulary History'

-I think I am very weak in my word choice just as I said in my self assessment I did a while ago. Because of the way I talk daily, I dont always use big words to describe the way I'm feeling or what not. I usually use simple words in my sentences rather then challenging words I've learned in middle school. Although I have had a vcabulary book to study words in middle school I've never really got to the point where I used those words daily.
-Well, during my whole elementary and middle career, I've always had tests occasionally on my spelling/ vocabulary words. Before each test it would be an assignment to write down each word and definition and then to study from it. Other than that, we ould write the words a couple of times and fit each word in a sentence provided and find the synonyms and antonyms of the word.
-Well first, I take whatever technique I've used in the past. But since then I think i changed my ways. I use my context clues first to see what it really means. I take a quick guess and then look it up. I'd say it a couple of times and move on.
-Well, since we are getting into a lot of reading I would like learn more challenging words that I should probaqbly know by now and apply them to my essay and etc. I feel like I;m behind with my vocabulary so I would like to learn as many words as possible. I could use my updated words I've leanred in my upcoming essays or when I'm giving presentations.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brittany,
    You have a good point about the language of our everyday speech. We generally do not use very big words when we speak informally. Part of that is because we have tone of voice, facial expressions, etc, that also communicate, so we don't have to rely that heavily on language.
    With writing, however, word choice becomes more important. And, yes, we'll be doing a lot of word choice and vocabulary work with our literature this semester.
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete