Sunday, August 29, 2010

Coming of Age (Draft)

“Toothbrush? Check!” now I’ve got to find my outfits I’m going to wear, this was hard. I packed as if I was staying there for a lifetime. “What else do I need?” I wanted to be sure I had everything I needed; a perfect weekend was all I looked forward to. All I thought about was looking good and hanging around my friends, getting closer to them, that’s it. I’ve never expected to feel so emotionally touched. That weekend I got closer to the people I’ve known for 9 years but never did talk or really understood them.

Sitting on the pavement nothing else to do but wait around for the bus to pick us up. Finally, “Where’s Tabitha?” I wanted to sit next to her on our ride there. It was chilly in the bus ride there looking out window all I would see was tall green trees that hovered over us. I could barely see the sky but the gloomy skies peeking through the trees scared me a little. The bus could no longer go down the steep pathway so we ended the ride here. I took my steps down the bus, my skin felt bumpy and I was cold. My class and I started the walk towards the buildings. We were walking on a wide pavement that was surrounded with trees. Although I was accompanied with more than forty students, chaperones, and teachers I felt unsafe. The walk was long and I packed heavy, you could only imagine how sore my shoulder was.

But after all the walking we were brought to this building that held three levels full of rooms. We all met in the living room where couches were set. I sat on the crowded floor listening to directions given to us by the leaders of this retreat. “Girls will stay on the first floor, boys on the second.” We were all assigned individual rooms. As I searched for mine I noticed that I was given a room next to Ms. Narvarte’s, my math teacher. I walked in and my sheets were black. I was given a sink, a closet that wouldn’t close, and mirror that stared right at me. Yeah, I knew for sure I didn’t want to stay here. I wanted to go home. Thank goodness I wasn’t the only one, girls screamed with fright and Ms. Narvarte let us sleep in pairs. As usual I paired up with Tabitha in my room.

We headed to the auditorium and had been put into groups. We were given a nametag with a sticker that would determine what group we would be put into. Well before we were sent back to our rooms we were given a tour to the church where we would go each night. At the cafeteria, we chose our table. We sat in a circle, boy girl boy girl boy girl, boys would serve us dinner. I think it was cute how Leopold gave me each of everything. He was a chubby boy and for desert, I remember him coming back to the table with a tiny desert plate with chicken and gravy on top. I chuckled a little trying not to be noticeable.

Dinner was good and so after we made our ways back to our rooms. Some of us took showers but since we were given a limited amount of time to get ready not many of us could bathe. I was one of them and so I used my time getting settled in my room. We all met in the auditorium where we were surprised to see band set up just like a mini concert with lights and everything. They played worship songs and had a projector set up so we could sing a long. I was really hyped, I didn’t think I’d like these songs so much. “He came from heaven to earth to show the way, from the cross to sky…..” I sang, all the way back to our rooms.

After the concert, I felt so sticky, sweat just stuck to my skin like glue. Showers were still full and a line was formed. So I decided to brush my teeth first. I finally showered and Ms. Narvarte demanded we go to sleep early. One of the chaperones came into our room and told us to be quiet and sleep since we were making a lot of noise. I couldn’t sleep, my pillow an old stench and the bed felt like I was sleeping on a table. I eventually fell asleep excited of what awaits me the next morning.

After breakfast, we all huddled in the auditorium where our retreat leaders prepared special activities for us. We all got to design brown paper bags with our names. Anytime we would like, anyone could make or send you card to put into your bag. We played group games where each and every one of us got involved and socialized with one another. This brought me closer to my group. Everyone got into a large circle where we discussed about God and his love for us. I remember crying during a certain time in retreat. I didn’t cry because of what anyone said but what he or she did. Now I remember, we did a group hug and then girls started to cry, and just seeing them cry made me cry as well. This was a time I would never forget.

Church always reunited me with Jesus and God but then retreat gave me more of an understanding and love for Jesus. Retreat was the only time I really enjoyed going to church and praying. I promised myself at retreat that every Sunday I would dedicate myself to God by going to church and I have. Retreat gave me a reason to pray and worship God rather than doing just because someone told me.

Retreat indeed made me a better person. It was like a home away from home. It was fun and I didn’t want to leave. In only two days I felt like a new and improved me. It made me think though, why only now right before graduation was I getting to know these people I’ve known for nine years.

4 comments:

  1. I KNOW I WASN'T ASSIGNED TO COMMENT YOUR ESSAY BUT I WILL... HAHAHA.

    -I cried reading your essay. especially when you mentioned the part about all the girls crying. Aww, that was so sad. And the part about Leopold was so funny!! Hahaha.

    OKAY, thats all. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this :)
    This was the best two days of my life. Retreat :)

    Hmmmm....since I was there, I'll be giving a lot of critiquing hehe..

    In your second paragraph you say: It was chilly in the bus ride there looking out window all I would see was tall green trees that hovered over us.
    I think you could say: The ride to our retreat was chilly. As I peered through the school bus window, tall green trees stood like towers, and the sky was a bright grey.

    You could name some of the activities we did. I would enjoy that.

    Oh! the activity about the brown paper bag! Yes! you said:
    Anytime we would like, anyone could make or send you card to put into your bag.

    Revision: The brown paper bag was used to hold messages from our friends. We would each write one for our friends. By the end of the retreat, we would open our bags and read all of the touching notes we gave each other.

    Oh brittany, We first went to the hall the next day, and then ate breakfast. haha :)

    I think it would be cute if you mentioned why the boys served us the second time, when we were actually supposed to serve them.

    I think it would be awesome if you mentioned that we were supposed to hug everyone we had "drama" with and grudges on. This is the moment when we realized we should have been making the best of every moment with each other because our days are limited.

    I know you will do a good job of revising because retreat was one of the best things that happened to us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brittany!

    I like the topic you chose, it seemed like a fun way to 'come of age'.

    Anyway, I agree with Isabelle that in the second paragraph you should change the sentence "It was chilly in the bus ride there looking out window all I would see was tall green trees that hovered over us." and make it two sentences instead. I think you should also change the sentence, "I took my steps down the bus, my skin felt bumpy and I was cold."

    For the first sentence of your third paragraph, you put "But after all the walking we were brought to this building that held three levels full of rooms." Maybe you can take out the 'but' and just start with, "After all..."

    In the fourth paragraph, you said, He was a chubby boy and for desert, I remember him coming back to the table with a tiny desert plate with chicken and gravy on top." You spelled 'desert' wrong. It supposed to be 'dessert.' The 'desert' you put is like barren, hot land.

    Besides that, good essay (:

    Good luck with your revision (:

    -Kristen Monico

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brittany,
    Sounds like your coming of age was shared by others in class :)
    I like the beginning, especially because you focus on the you "before" the retreat...that you were only thinking about what to wear, how you'd look, what fun you'd have. I think it would give it more impact to come back to that at the end ... perhaps to talk about what you brought back from the retreat...more than used clothes...or something like that...
    Besides that put in more specifics. You need specifics that show, not tell, how you were changing during this experience. I think the details Isabelle suggested about the cards and the hugs are good ones and I think if you could highlight one or two specific cards and hugs, that would show better how you'd come of age.
    great start!
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete