Monday, May 2, 2011

Reflection Questions: Holocaust Video, Chapter 1

After watching the first chapter of the video of Oprah and Elie Wiesel at Auschwitz, answer the following questions on your own blogs

What details about the Holocaust experience became clearer or more vivid for you because of the video?
Aside from reading about the Holocaust in books or on the internet, I think what really made the Holocaust much more vivid and made it seem so true and real was having Elie Wiesel there to tell his actual story, to say what he saw, what he heard, and what he felt like. Also, I think just seeing the buildings and the places the Jews were killed really opened my mind and made me say 'this is where it all happened'. The graphics included in the video also made the video clearer and much more vivid to me. Such as pictures oh starving Jews crammed onto beds, the gas chambers where they were killed, and the trains where the Jew rode in for days.

Describe the video techniques used to tell this story:
Camera angles: The camera angles work nicely that while they were talking about where things happened like where they stood in lines and where the died with the angles, I was able to see Elie Wiesel talk about a certain place while at the same time see where it all happened.
Graphics: Graphics were so important in this video and topped everything it gave me such a good visual of what the Jews had been through.
Interviewing: The interviewing portion made everything seem more real and because Oprah was there and is such a good speaker many of the questions she had asked answered all my wondering questions.
Excerpts from the book: Taking the excerpts again like what I had said earlier, him just saying them aloud with his own voice reading what I had read made it seem so true and believable. When he read the excerpts from the book on the video it just brought more emotion and meaning to his written words.

What is the "madness" the Oprah and Elie Wiesel speak of at the end of this section?
I think the 'madness' in this video is about how the Germans had treated the Jews, killing them so harshly and so fast, being so determined to get rid of the Jewish race. I think the 'madness' would describe all of the inhumane things the Jews had experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment