Wednesday, August 11, 2010

PRO-CON FORMATIVE ASSESSMENT

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/24/us/politics/24immig.html <---here is the link to my article

Summary:
This article I have chosen is mainly about how the state of Arizona is coming up with this law that any policeman can ask for an immigrant's green card or immigration papers if he or she suspects they are immigrants. If Arizona immigrants do not abide by this lawa itt ca be considered as a state crime or misdemeanor. Said to be one of the strictest laws, it gives a stronger power to the police as they can put them in jail or give out another form of punishment. Gov. Jan Brewer of Arizona said she will make sure that the policemen are well trained to carry out this law. Although, they have already killen a man who suspected as a smuggler weeks before the law was made official. There are many who protest against this law including Barrack Obama, who puts in much of his cristism. But because Presidents rarely weigh on in state legislative, states located along the border of Mexico had outbeaten Barrak Obama. The state of Arizona had put aside what Obama and Congress had thought and took the issue nationally.

Proposition: I do not support the new Arizona Immigration law because no matter what type of citizenship they have they are being discriminated and harrassed by police who now have the right to approach anyone who may not be Hispanic but appears to be a Mexican Immigrant to ask for their immigration papers. Not many of this people have their green card or papers on them at all times as a result they can be put in jail for disobeying the law as well as committing a state crime.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Britt! :D
    I STRONGLY agree with you that the law should not be passed! It's so unnecessary and wrong. Many of us know that there are immigrants crossing the border, LOTS OF THEM actually. I think this problem of illegal immigrants can be soled in different ways. Maybe, we should start asking for ID's for everything we purchase, even if we're not paying with a credit card. Or maybe job owners should ask for legal documents from people when they apply for jobs. And if they fail to present these documents, then they can be questioned. These are just a few that came to my mind. But anyway, I think the people who are assumed to be illegal immigrants might be offended if they really AREN'T. How are the police really going to assume? By they're appearance, they're accents? That's just not right. Like I said on Kai's and Isabelle's blog, one shall not judge on a person's appearance. I've mentioned this to Isabelle, but I think a proposition is supposed to be straight to the point. I dont think you have to explain in detail why you agree or disagree on the situation. I'm not too sure, but I'll be sure to ask Mrs. Sueoka. Anyway, very good job! :]

    -Zee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Brittany Bonilla, :P

    Like you, I do not support the new Arizona Immigration law. The people in the U.S. who are legal citizens may feel offended if they are asked to show the police immigrant papers. It's unfair to those who are not legal citizens because they can't live peacefully in our country when people suspect them to be an illegal immigrant. I think the government should think of less offending ways to find the illegal immigrants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Brittany,
    Good topic...proposition, however, needs to be a single sentence position statement.
    assessment score: 2
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete